Other Useful info


The standard voltage in the Korea is 220 volts AC, 60 Hz with a round two-pin plug (same as in Germany or France). If your appliance plug has a different shape, you may need a plug adapter.


Korea`s official monetary unit is the won. The Korean currency consists of the fifty thousand, ten thousand, five thousand, and one thousand won note, and the five hundred, one hundred, fifty and ten won.

(oman won)
10,000 won
(man won)
5,000 won
(ocheon won)
(cheon won)
(obaek won)
(baek won)
(osip won)
(sip won)

Phone Calls

Public Phones

There are three types of public telephones in Korea: coin-operated telephones, card phones, and credit card phones. A local call costs 70 won (US$0.06) for three minutes. Intercity calls cost considerably more. Coin phones return coins that are not charged, but do not return change for partially used 100 won coins. Card telephones can be used to make international calls as well as local and intercity calls. Telephone cards come in 2,000, 3,000, 5,000, and 10,000 denominations and are on sale in shops close to telephone boxes and in banks. There are also credit card phones, which you can use with major credit cards.

  • Cellular Phones
    Cell-Phone Rental Services are available at Incheon International Airport.
    SK Int’l Incheon Roaming Airport Center : www.skroaming.com 82-2-6343-9011(press4), 599-2011(press *)
    KTF Int’l Incheon Roaming Airport Center : www.ktfroaming.com 82-2-2190-0901, 1588-0608
  • Climate : Changing Season (September)
    September is changing season Summer to Autumn. Summer lasts from June to early
    September. It is a hot and humid time of the year. Autumn lasts from September to
    November, and produces mild weather."
  • Temperature
    Morning(Minimum) : about 16oC
    Daytime(Maximum) : about 26oC
  • Humidity
    about 70%
  • Flying Times from Major Cities of the World to Incheon International Airport

    City Flying Time City Flying Time
    Amsterdam 11:15 Mumbai 08:25
    Bangkok 05:25 New Delhi 07:10
    Beijing 01:50 New York 13:20
    Brisbane 09:20 Osaka 01:30
    Chicago 12:40 Paris 11:55
    Dalian 01:00 Rome 11:55
    Frankfurt 11:20 Shanghai 01:40
    Hong Kong 03:40 Singapore 05:40
    Jakarta 07:20 Sydney 10:10
    Kuala Lumpur 06:30 Sao Paulo 24:40
    London 11:50 Taipei 05:40
    Los Angeles 11:00 Tokyo 02:00
    Manila 03:50 Toronto 15:00
    Moscow 09:30 Vancouver 10:00


    Foreign Students

    In order to study in Korea for more than 90 days, you need to apply for a D-2 student visa. A student visa can be obtained at Korean consulates, usually overnight. It can be extended here in Seoul without having to leave Korea.

    To apply for a student visa (D-2), you will need the following items:

    1) Completed visa application form (available at http://www.hikorea.go.kr)
    2) Valid passport
    3) Certificate of admission (acceptance letter from Yonsei University)
    4) Bank statement (or scholarship certificate)
    If you are a non-exchange student:
    a minimum of 8,000 USD for one semester during the last one month, or
    a minimum of 17,000 USD for two semesters during the last one month.
    If you are an exchange student:
    a minimum of 3,600 USD for one semester during the last one month, or
    a minimum of 8,500 USD for two semesters during the last one month.
    5) Two passport-size photographs (3.5cm X 4.5cm)
    6) Visa Processing Fee (Single Entry: 30 USD, Multiple Entry: 50 USD)

    Note 1: If you already received a C-3 visa (short-term permission for general purpose) instead of a D-2 visa, you must change your visa status within 30 days after arrival.
    Note 2: There are two types of visas; one is single entry, the other is multiple entry. If you want to travel abroad during your exchange program at Yonsei, we recommend a multiple entry type of D-2 visa. The embassy or consulate will issue you a single entry visa if you do not specifically request a multiple entry visa.
    Note 3: If you want to study the Korean language (www.yskli.com), you should apply for the D-4 visa.

    Foreign Professors

    Foreign professors need to apply for the E-1 professor visa. Foreign professors must qualify under the Higher Education Act to lecture or research at educational facilities or be a qualified professional in the field of science (i.e., a person who lectures or studies at a science-related educational facility with a recommendation from the Minister of Science and Technology).

    To apply for a E-1 professor visa, please send the following items to the Office of International Affairs:

    1) Copy of passport
    2) Application for recognition of visa issuance (available at http://www.hikorea.go.kr)
    3) Copy of c.v. or resume
    4) Official document of degree conferment (e.g., diploma, official school transcript)
    5) Employment verification (if you are currently employed)
    6) Copy of exchange agreement (if you are invited as an exchange professor)
    7) Visa processing fee (single entry: 30 USD; multiple entry: 50 USD)
    8) One passport-size photograph (3.5cm X 4.5cm)

    All documents must be in English and Korean. Please contact the Office of International Affairs at isss@yonsei.ac.kr for further questions.

    ※ All foreigners remaining in Korea over 90 days must obtain a Certificate of Alien Registration from the Seoul Immigration Office. Application for the Certificate of Alien Registration costs 10,000 KRW (about US$11) and requires three passport-size photos.

    ※ Immigration Offices

  • Seoul : 02-2650-6212
  • Busan : 051-461-3021
  • Incheon : 032-889-9936
  • Gimhae Airport : 051-972-1610/5
  • Incheon Int'l Airport : 032-740-7015~9
  • Jeju-do : 064-722-3494
  • ※ For more details about visa applications, please visit http://www.hikorea.go.kr.